1. Movies, movie and more movies. Just like in a home, when the rain came in California, we jumped at the chance to stay in our pajamas and watch movies all day. Now that we are in a travel trailer, movies can be the best way to kill time. It just so happened, we've enjoyed boondocking a lot more lately, which means we've opted out of hook ups. Thank goodness for the generator.
The last 2 days, we've watched the Emoji movie and Woody Woodpecker on Netflix, Big, Sing, and Planet Earth. It's too bad we saved that one for last. The cinematography was amazing.
2. Make Play Dough! (Recipe Below). This has been our 3 year olds favorite activity. It's entertained him for hours and he carries the bag with him everywhere, all within 350 sq ft.
3. Card Games. We've recently become hooked on Phase 10, and yes we are keeping score. And, if you're wondering, I am currently leading.
4. Science Kits! The boys get subscriptions to Groovy Box which are prepared science experiments for kids. Although this is all a part of home schooling, they enjoy them so much that it's almost just play to them.
5. Bake! I love to bake when it's raining. Now, if I had the space to really get down, I would. Being in a small space, I'm limited to the amount of food and baking machines I can keep around. I've enjoyed finding the Red Mill Muffin mix, which actually, is really hard to come across. I always check for it. It's a gluten free muffin mix that you use and add your own ingredients to. Like blueberries or carrots or bananas. They kids love them and I enjoy mixing up the flavors each time. (Seriously tho, if anyone comes across it, send it my way!)
6. Draw. Jake is our artist. This kid blows me away with some of his art he creates. He has several drawing books and on rainy day, this is his go to! We also recently got an Oslo. If his iPad is charged, this is always something fun to get out.
7. Move the island (that is in the center of our trailer) and have a dance party. Actually, it's been more like a The Greatest Showman soundtrack sing along party. Anyone else as obsessed as we are? Currently counting the days until this movie is on DVD.
8. iPad activities. As a family, we have several favorite iPad apps we use as a family. One would be YouTube. We love going back and watching our old videos from the last 8 months of travel. We also have so many science channels we enjoy watching. GoNoodle is also a fun app that is great to help get kids energy out in a small space.
9. Tent building. We obviously don't have a lot of space for this, which means that when tents are built, the entire trailer becomes a tent. This has only recently happened once, but it was fun to see how excited this made the kids.
10. Books on Audio. We've recently enjoyed listening to the book Wonder on audio. I knew this was one I wanted to read with the boys before seeing the movie. We've never done this before, but it has been so incredibly bonding and soothing for us all at the end of the day. Trenton usually falls asleep on me within minutes of the audio starting, but once its on, we are all engaged. I often stop it, we talk a little about whats happening, especially if I feel the boys are becoming distracted. (Spoiler alert) Tonight, Bryce cried when they put their dog down. He got up, needed a hug and then said he needed to go outside to see our dogs, in the rain, at 9pm. We will continue books on audio for sure.
There you have it! Whether you're stuck in 350 sq. ft on a rainy day like we are, or 5,000 sq. ft, you can still find things to do, together, to get you through it with your hair all in your head. After the rain lets up, ditch the kids and get a Starbucks. You did it.
© COPYRIGHT 2015. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.